[governance] IGF consultations - Transcriptions from yesterday + my intervention

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Fri Feb 17 04:27:06 EST 2006

All,

the transcriptions from yesterday are online:

http://www.intgovforum.org/contributions/IGF-1-0216.txt
http://www.intgovforum.org/contributions/IGF-1-021606pm.txt

Also remember the live streaming at http://streaming.polito.it/IGF-live

And so I can now copy my intervention, for those who might be interested
in reading it:

 >>VITTORIO BERTOLA:  Thank you, Mr. Chairman.  I would like to start by
the concept that was agreed in Tunis Agenda about a forum based on
authoritativeness and not on authority.
  I think this implies that participation and inclusiveness are vital
elements to get support and for a forum to be effective.  And this leads
me to my first very specific point which regards rules for accreditation
and participation in the meetings.
  I think it is very important that there are no barriers, there are no
obstacles for anyone who wants to participate in these meetings.  It
should be very simple online-based registration system.  In general, you
should make it possible for any stakeholder who wants to participate to
join the meetings.  And this, speaking for what regards civil society,
does not just include accredited or established NGOs but also includes
informal groups, online campaigns, and even the individual users
participating as individuals.  And then the most important point I
wanted to make I think we all want this forum to have an impact.  I
think we want this forum to be able to solve issues; otherwise, it will
be useless.
  And so I would like to reiterate the idea that the IGF should be seen
as a process and not as an event.  And the reason is clear.  I think
that -- I mean, can you solve issues by meeting once a year for three
days, maybe discussing 10 or 15 different issues, maybe in a room filled
up by 500 people?  I think it's clear that you can't.
  And so if you want to change the Internet, I think you need to do it
the Internet way.  You need to encompass the flow of spontaneous
initiatives that are born every day on the Internet to solve the issues
about which all the users of the Internet care.
  And so, my proposal, you need working groups.  You need to have open,
online collaborative initiatives that are started by the people who
care.  So all stakeholders that care about the specific issue can gather
and form an online discussion forum and start to discuss and build
consensus and actually work out best practices and recommendations.
  And then at the same time, I think you need some coordination among
all these different working groups.  And this is why I think you also
need a steering group.  Not a bureau, but a steering group that can
advance the work and oversee the advancement of this work, can adopt the
documents and the recommendations that are prepared and agreed by the
different working groups, and also can take care, of course, of the
program of the meeting.
  And I think this should be a sort of moral leader of this entire
process, a group of people coming from all the different stakeholders
that act as peers in their individual capacities, that are broadly
respected and are especially open minded.  And possibly, these people
should be self-selected by the different constituencies and stakeholder
groups.
  But perhaps just to advance the work at an interim stage, I would
suggest that they are appointed by the secretary general.
  I think that we need all of these elements to meet the challenge at
this point in front of us.
  And to conclude, personally, I would really like to spend a word of
support for the excellent work that the former WGIG Secretariat and
chairmanship has been doing and are still doing.
  I think that many people here hope that they would be allowed to
continue in the IGF.
  Thank you.