[governance] draft for a caucus intervention for Geneva

William Drake drake at hei.unige.ch
Thu Feb 16 01:49:32 EST 2006

Hi,

Karen and I have gone around on this a bit since WGIG.  While it is of
course an issue of paramount importance, I don't see access as an IG issue,
there are no applicable international shared rule systems, it's a function
of heterogeneous and uncoordinated national policies and corporate
decisions.  Accordingly, it hasn't really been treated as such in WGIG/WSIS.
Of course, one could say there should be international rules, but that's
different, and I would think there is an obligation to say just what such
rules might consist of.   I know Milton agrees with me and think some others
did when this came up previously. There also arguably would be some danger
of implying that international telecom rules, such as the ITU's treaty
instruments, that are supposed to encourage telephone access, apply to the
Internet.   Clearly it's an issue meriting further consideration and people
can reasonably disagree on it.  We can talk about this in our drafting
meeting today, but I don't think we'll reach a hard consensus on the point
in the time available.  Maybe there's some mention that could be worked out
to connect with and support APC's statement without declaring full stop that
the caucus all agrees this is an IG issue per se.

Best,

Bill