[governance] Caucus Meeting Wednesday Night?

karen banks karenb at gn.apc.org
Tue Feb 14 11:37:59 EST 2006

hi milton

 > - Secretariat Location (Geneva?)
> > - IGF meetings (1 per year?)
> > - Steering Group (multistakeholder, of course)
>
>If these are the "hot" topics I can only wonder what the cold ones
>are. Has there been no discussion of the equal status of
>participants, of the procedures by which working groups will be
>formed, or whether there will indeed be a working group structure?
>Was there any discussion of agenda topics?

yes, of course there are hotter topics ;), and i want to bring up a hot one..

issues - should the forum address questions of access - as APC will
certainly advocate that it does and i'm expecting a whole host of
negative reactions, even from our closest colleagues, some on this list ;)

canada has already explicitly (well, maybe not explicitly) said that
the IGF should NOT address questions of access - but it begs the
qurstion for me of who shall.. and others will say - yes, this is of
course an important issue, but what's it got to do with global governance?

we see that we need to have a lot more discusion with people on this
topic - as i think it's fair to say that we do not enjoy support from
many on the caucus on this issue, yet..

milton - during the malta conference, there was an overriding
emphasis on the need for participation 'on an equal footing' in the
IGF, that the IGF be seen as a process, not a meeting - and yes, i
would say majority support for the concept of working groups

as to how they are constituted no, we didn't discuss this..

maybe it's having just come back from malta where these hot issues
were discussed (in fact, we didn't really even touch on the ones veni
noted above) - thankfully for me, there was serious attention paid to
the issue of participation of developing country participants and
capacity building..

karen