[governance] [WSIS CS-Plenary] Meeting on preparation of IGF meeting in Greece - 15 February

veni markovski veni at veni.com
Fri Feb 10 08:42:49 EST 2006

Vittorio and all,

At 02:36 PM 10.2.2006 '?.'ЪЪ┬Ж  +0100, Vittorio Bertola wrote:

>Can I ask to civil society people that have the chance to attend this
>meeting (I won't) to make the point that it is a bit confusing to add
>one more day of meetings in Geneva to two other already scheduled days
>of meetings, and it adds up to increasing costs etc.?
>I think we should encourage the Greek government to cooperate more with
>the official IGF setup process, managed by Annan and his delegates, and
>avoid unnecessary duplication of meetings and discussions, which is
>particularly hard to bear for civil society people.

There's more - the note for that meeting comes a
week before it's been scheduled. That's quite
unacceptable for anyone who does not live in Geneva.
Obviously this meeting is meant to be in favour
of people who are in Geneva, and also to justify
reports that "civil society has been consulted".
Civil Society must state clearly that this is not
the way such meetings should be organized. An
extra day in Geneva cost a lot; a ticket bought a
week in advance cost more than a ticket, obtained
a month in advance. All these items are ignored
by governments, esp. of rich countries.
As someone coming from Bulgaria, I think it's too
much for a country in transition, or a developing
country. Eventhough we are based in Europe.

Veni