[governance] call for papers: Communication Technologies of Empowerment

Sylvia Caras sylvia.caras at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 14:43:59 EST 2006

Communication Technologies of Empowerment
18 May, 2007 | Leeds, UK
Deadline: 31 January, 2007
This meeting seeks to bring together new scholars who are studying how
the latest developments in communication are affecting our democracies
by enabling new forms of political participation and citizen
engagement. The recent popular upheavals in Ukraine and Lebanon were
in great part conducted through mobile phone messages. In Western
Europe, the riots in the Parisian suburbs and the protests in Spain
against the Aznar government regarding the authorship of the Madrid
terrorist attacks would have been very different if the Internet and
mobile phones had not become an integral part of our everyday lives.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org