[governance] internet as a tool

Sylvia Caras Sylvia.Caras at gmail.com
Tue Dec 12 10:52:19 EST 2006

The US, both through electronic health records and a database of air
travelers is using tools that ride on the internet to accomplish
government goals.  I'm posting these two instances not so much for
the specifics of the national activities as for the global
implications.  I'm wondering how much of internet governance has to
do with applications, and whether those should or even could be
managed or monitored in any way.

1.  Electronic health records:

"Certification Commission for Healthcare Information Technology

CCHIT is the recognized certification authority for electronic health
records and their networks, and an independent, voluntary,
private-sector initiative.

Our mission is to accelerate the adoption of health information
technology by creating an efficient, credible and sustainable product
certification program."

http://www.cchit.org/

2.  Though this is also a US issue, it seems to me to have global
implications, and perhaps some subscribers here would like to comment
formally using the link below.

http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,72250-0.html?tw=rss.index

The comment period on the proposal, which ended last Monday, was
re-opened on Friday for additional feedback. Comments can be
<http://regulations.gov>submitted online using docket number DHS-2006-0060

Sylvia