[governance] New dot com agreement changes USG-ICANN relationship

Danny Butt db at dannybutt.net
Tue Dec 5 15:36:14 EST 2006

Thanks Milton, Linda and Jeanette for comments.

Milton, I could talk for a long time about the users and (more
importantly for the developmental dimension) potential users who were
*not* visible in the early days of Internet coordination. I think
it's easier to just look at the gender/ethnic mix in the photographs
from the after-parties. The fact that the exclusions were not
formalised doesn't make them any less real. And these exclusions are,
in my view, also what made the USG happy to have a body like ICANN in
power. It's absolutely unthinkable that a similar body with powerful
blocs from (say) predominantly Muslim nations would ever be given
decision-making autonomy by the USG.

I think Jeanette's suggestion below reflects my own point of view.
The onus is on self-governing bodies responsible for critical
infrastructure to demonstrate inclusiveness and effectiveness to the
level that intergovernmental mechanisms can demonstrate. By this I
mean the bodies really need to gain at least the level of trust and
legitimacy in the eyes of all, not just in the eyes of those
currently doing well out of the status quo (including Euro-US
dominated civil society). Until this can be shown in practice (not in
theory), I cant see how ICANN is better than say the ITU.

(Please don't talk meetings being "open for anyone to attend" - we
all want these intergovernmental bodies to be more open and
accountable. But I think we need to start that critique with a
recognition of the global legitimacy that intergovernmental bodies
have been able to achieve much more effectively than ICANN or any of
the other IG self-governing bodies. And realise that you can't get
four billion people onto a discussion list or meeting room, so direct
democracy won't get you there.)

Best

Danny

     governance at lists.cpsr.org