[governance] New dot com agreement changes USG-ICANN relationship

William Drake drake at hei.unige.ch
Mon Dec 4 07:29:47 EST 2006

Hi,

I've not seen an official statement, but David Gross is quoted in an IHT
piece on the Plenipot, nothing surprising.
http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/12/03/technology/btitu.php

Clearly there will be continuing work on security issues (which the US has
supported), now additionally framed as enhanced cooperation.  Whether such
cooperation will be construed as also including the development of
globally-applicable principles on public policy issues concerning names and
numbers is another story.   One suspects there will be calls for that from
some quarters, but it's hard to see how a consensus could be reached.

Cheers,

Bill

William J. Drake  drake at hei.unige.ch
Director, Project on the Information
  Revolution and Global Governance/PSIO
  Graduate Institute for International Studies
  Geneva, Switzerland
http://www.cpsr.org/Members/wdrake

     governance at lists.cpsr.org