[governance] ITU IG Resolution

Ralf Bendrath bendrath at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Sat Dec 2 07:43:09 EST 2006

Vittorio Bertola wrote:

> Milton Mueller ha scritto:
>> the free
>> software movement has gained leverage over the policy debate regarding
>> its issues by creating its own institution -- the general public license
>> -- embodying its values. Are there analogues that could be pursued in
>> the IG arena?

> On the Internet, you need to attach added value to something for people
> to embrace it. So, can we imagine anything practically feasible and
> having sensible advantages over the present DNS system and arrangements?

I think this does not need to be a technical approach (the GPL isn't
either). We can also come up with legal or institutional responses that
incorporate the values of CS.
Wolfgang had such an idea when he asked if ICANN could also enter into a
Joint Project Agreement with the EU and others. Not sure if this would be
CS-driven and so on, but that's the sort of out-of-the-box-thinking that's
needed here. Another one is the A2K treaty proposal for WIPO that came out
of CS.
The dynamic coalition on the framework convention could be a space to
develop these ideas. I also would be interested in hearing about its
membership, working plan etc.

Best, Ralf

PS: By the way: Do people see a strategic or tactical problem if CS folks are
a) coordinators of a CS caucus and at the same time
b) coordinators of a multi-stakeholder coalition on the same subject?

This does apply at least to Parminer for IG and myself for privacy. I was
thinking of stepping down as Privacy Caucus coordinator, but the caucus is
not very active anyway and I am afraid it could die. But in general, I see
potential problems if you can't be a loud and outspoken CS advocacy
coordinator anymore, because you have to be a "neutral" multistakeholder
facilitator at the same time.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org