[governance] New dot com agreement changes USG-ICANN relationship

Veni Markovski veni at veni.com
Fri Dec 1 16:15:42 EST 2006

When you say "most valuable", I guess you mean the US?
Here's an interesting story:

An American (Milton) is discussing an US
department, dealing with an US company, about
something that concerns US customers. But your
picture would not be full if you don't involve
the US-based non-profit, which is the only one in
the equation that has international approach on a number of issues.

I start to think that if ICANN didn't exist it,
we would have to create it, or else all the steam
would go to the government :)

veni

P.S. Why don't you ask someone from the 10
million .de domain name holders, if they consider .com as "most valuable TLD"?

At 02:01 PM 01.12.2006 '?.'Ъ▄Ж  -0500, Milton Mueller wrote:
>ICANN's 8-year experiment in nongovernmental governance of the
>Internet's domain name system all but came to an end November 30. The
>U.S. Department of Commerce announced that it, and not ICANN, would be
>the ultimate "decider" when it comes to dot com. Dot com is the largest
>and most valuable Internet top level domain, accounting for about 50% of
>the global market.
>
>Read the complete story at the IGP site:
>http://internetgovernance.org/news.html#ICANNVeriSignSettlement_113006

Sincerely,
Veni Markovski
http://www.veni.com