[governance] IGF workshop on 'framework convention on the Internet'

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Tue Aug 22 06:54:09 EDT 2006

Parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:
> > What are the net effects that you would expect such a 'framework
> > convention' to have on the practical reality of the internet?
>
> There a few ways to attempt an answer to this question.
>
> One, is to explore if and how various national and global level policy
> instruments which lay out broader principles affect every day reality around
> us.

Yes, ok.  It seems to me (without having seriously explored the
question) that the function of those "broader principles" documents
is to contribute to shaping the social consensus of what is
"politically correct".  That in turn has some influence on what
people will actually do, and on what those who choose to engage in
engage in harmful practices will get away with.

> Do you think there is a difference in how US establishment sees Internet
> (see its early policy documents expounding its 'marketplace characteristics)
> and how a development agency in India and Bangladesh looks at it.

Yes, definately.

If the goal of the 'Framework Convention on the Internet' is something
like "make sure that the application of fundamental human rights such
as privacy for personal communications and freedom of speech, as well
as the economic perspectives and needs of people in developing
countries will not be overlooked and will not be forgotten", I'll
wholeheartedly support that.

> It is in this background that US and Brazil have different policies on FOSS.

I like the Brazil policy on FOSS much better than the attitude of the
current US government.

But I have serious concerns about the idea that internet should
somehow be regulated by means of an international treaty.  If I
recall correctly, there was an intervention from Brazil which called
for something like that.  If I could be assured that the treaty will
be only about matters of human rights and development, my concerns
would be resolved.

I want that any new internet governance institutions which might be
created from now on must have genuine and transparent multistakeholder
accountability, and I want that the fundamental property of the
internet that there is freedom for creative technical development must
be preserved.

> Do you not think that the development of Internet and associated
> ICTs would have taken a different route if global political
> environment were different?

I certainly wouldn't want to deny that the global political
environment has a significant influence.

I'm worried however that the positive influence from good principles
mentioned in a 'framework convention' might be negligible in relation
to the bad effects of an international treaty which might eventually
result in the creation of a non-transparent, non-multistakeholder or
non-accountable international organisation that will be in charge of
essential aspects of internet governance.

> Meanwhile, if the Framework convention proposal is accepted, I will be happy
> to have greater libertarian views like yours who have doubts about efficacy
> of such policy frameworks for the Internet. And, so I invite you to
> participate in the workshop as well.

I'd certainly appreciate the opportunity to explain the dangers that
I see.

Greetings,
Norbert.

--