[governance] Charter status update

Lee McKnight LMcKnigh at syr.edu
Sun Aug 20 16:35:50 EDT 2006

Second.

For ongoing use more policy may be needed, but not yet.

Lee

Prof. Lee W. McKnight
School of Information Studies
Syracuse University
+1-315-443-6891office
+1-315-278-4392 mobile

>>> jeremy.shtern at umontreal.ca 8/20/2006 3:24 PM >>>
Hi Avri and Everyone,

I, for one, am comfortable with the potential privacy risks associated

with the voting software and with expressing trust in Avri's judgement

as a honest broker in having access to the results- at the very least
for the charter vote.

Thanks again Avri,

Cheers,

Jeremy Shtern

Avri Doria wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am back from my research trip and back to trying to get the charter

> approved.
>
> I now have voting software working on igcaucus.org.  Anyone who is
> interested in the details of this software is welcome to read the
> manual available at: http://www.igcaucus.org/eVote.pdf.  The voting
> software is open source and is provided by Marilyn Davis, Ph.D. at
> http://www.deliberate.com/ .
>
> In order to use this software, I will be setting up a new mailing
list
> called IGC-voters at igcaucus.org (it wasn't possible to link it to the

> actual governance mailing list).
> This list will be made up of those who were both:
> - subscribed to the governance list as of 060724
> - subscribed to the governance list with a individual name attached
> the subscription.
>
> Ironically, there is a issue with attaching personal names to the
> IGC-voters list.  Since it need to use an older version of mailman
> (1.13) it is not capable of including the subscriber's name, only the

> email address.
>
> There is also a privacy issue with the software.  As listed in every

> ballot:
>
>> Warnings: Although eVote will not reveal your vote to the other
>> members of the voting community, the system administrator of the
>> computer that stores your vote can quite easily see the voting
>> records of individuals. Also, there is the possibility that your
>> ballot can be seen by a "snooper", someone who intercepts your
>> ballot in transit.
>>
>> The integrity of the poll, i.e., the accuracy of the count, is
>> susceptible to being tampered with by the system administrator
>> of the computer running the eVote(R)/Clerk software.
>>
>> Both the privacy of your vote and the integrity of the poll are
>> susceptible to attack at your own computer.
>>

> This means that the administrator of igcaucus.org - me - has the
> ability to look at individual voting records and to tamper with the
> results.   I promise not to do this, and to only look at logs as
> necessary for system administration.  But it is up to the
participants
> of the IGC whether they trust me to actually not do look or tamper
> with votes.  Of course if in the end we opt for non secret votes,
this
> won't be an issue.  But if we decide to go for secret votes I will be

> bound by a promise to not look at and to not tamper with any of the
> IGC votes.  If the IGC cannot accept this personal guarantee, then I

> will ask help in finding free and open software that does not have
> this vulnerability.
>
> There are several interesting pluses to this software.  One of its
> strongest features is that it allows anyone who is subscribed to the

> list to initiate a poll or a petition.  I think that over time the
IGC

     governance at lists.cpsr.org

     governance at lists.cpsr.org