[governance] Re: host country agreements considered dangerous

David Allen David_Allen_AB63 at post.harvard.edu
Wed Aug 2 08:43:39 EDT 2006

Those who focus on ICANN will probably appreciate the detail about possible change there.  But the comments do not acknowledge the core point:

There are and will be more than a few proposed models that look quite beyond ICANN.  Exactly because IGF is deliberative, rather than decision-making, there is opportunity to be creative and investigate what would be quality regimes in a politically realistic context.  Some of these will not look like ICANN ...

"[C]ommunication, coordination and cooperation among stakeholders which would enable involved parties with decision making capacities to make decisions based on knowledge ..." means an atmosphere for IGF that encourages out-of-the-box thinking, interesting analysis, and quality exchanges.  That means, among others, respect for and encouragement of a variety of proposals.  Certainly, it means no presupposition as to outcome (not, e.g., that IGF be 'ICANN´s watchdog').

Looking forward to a quality working environment, David

     governance at lists.cpsr.org