[governance] Re: Burr & Cade: proposal for introducingmulti-lateral oversight of the root

Peter Dambier peter at echnaton.serveftp.com
Tue Aug 1 18:50:55 EDT 2006

Milton Mueller wrote:
> Canada?

> A realistic and short-term solution, which I suggested at the WSIS, is
> simply to host the new structure in an "innocent country", a small and
> quite neutral country which, unlike the USA or China or France, seems
> safe for everyone. Costa-Rica or Finland are two typical examples (and
> they have good Internet connectivity).

Who needs a centralized root system?

Telefone works without centralized root. Every country has its own.

Why not a central publication like

http://www.iana.org/cctld/cctld-whois.htm
http://www.iana.org/root-whois/zw.htm

Were everybody can see what nameservers to query for each TLD?

Alternatively you could view

http://www.afrac.org/rootrep.txt

Or a site maintained by ITU.

Now every country can build their own independant root.
Everybody can, if he is only willing.

Dont take the data from either ITU or ICANN for granted.
Take the nameservers they list and query them. Every
country should maintain their TLD independantly and authoritatively.

If you have that information stay with it. Never query the ITU or ICANN
database again, except for TLDs you have lost or for new TLDs.

Build your own database manually. Update it only manually.
Update it only from what the TLD nameservers say.
Use your database to automatically build your personal rootfile from the
TLD nameservers.

There are domestic roots like the chinese root and the arab root. There seem
to be independant roots for tailand and korea. Every country can do it.
The resulting root will probably be more accurate than the ICANN rootfile because
you can include the daily changes decided by the TLD owners or countries. ICANN
takes years to respect those changes. Why rely on anybody else to be faster and
more reliable?

Everybody can do it.
Of course you need students studying computerscience. Pushing the mouse is not enough.

That one will do

http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu

Kind regards
Peter and Karin