[governance] Transition

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sun Apr 30 13:05:38 EDT 2006

Hi,

First I want to indicate how grateful i am for the conversations that
have been going on for last weeks on this list.  I especially
appreciate the statements of support that I got from so many of you.

However, i do not feel that we have consensus on my proposal despite
the degree of support.  The strongest issue, in email i received
privately as well as on the list, seems to be a discomfort with the
idea of one coordinator.  and since I believe that this can't work
without consensus, i do not feel i can go forward as a single
coordinator.

If, however, we are going to have 2 coordinator (we could have more,
but 2 seems to be what people are calling for) i believe, as a member
of the caucus, that they should represent, to some extent the
diversity in the group as much as possible when talking about 2
people.  There had been suggestions of Bill and I.  I was against
that and still am.  I think Bill would make a fine coordinator, as i
believe i might.  But we are both from the US and while he spends
more time residing in Europe then I do, I beleive we both tend to
view the world through the eyes of USians with Eurocentric lenses
(however much we may sometime disagree on other things and i do hope
he forgives me for characterizing his viewpoint).  If the IGC wants
two coordinators and wants diversity (gender as well as developing/
developed world - or any other criteria someone may suggest)  then i
see us as possible candidates who could not be chosen to serve together.

so again, i appreciate the consideration my suggestion got, and
appreciate the great discussions it seemed to initiate, but i do not
feel that i have the consensus i need to put it into effect and
therefore suggest that we begin to figure out what it is we want to do.

anyone have a idea?

thanks
a.