[governance] individuals

Bret Fausett bfausett at internet.law.pro
Thu Apr 27 12:31:26 EDT 2006

With the regard to the current debate on the role of individuals, I'd like
to point to the Civil Society Declaration released in December, 2003.

http://www.itu.int/wsis/docs/geneva/civil-society-declaration.pdf

One of the first statements in this Declaration is this: "At the heart of
our vision of information and communications societies is the human being.
The dignity and rights of all peoples and each person must be promoted,
respected, protected and affirmed."

I have a hard time understanding why we would seek to *represent* individual
human beings in our contributions and interventions but not *include* them
in our organizations, debate and work.

Going back to the point I made earlier, I think we should measure
contributions by how well they reflect the values inherent in documents such
as the Civil Society Declaration, rather than by the identity of the
organization or individual who submitted them. I suppose this is a utopian
way of looking at the world, but then again, that's what CS is supposed to
do, isn't it? I find myself close to Veni's point about deeds not words.
Let's focus on contributions, whether they come from organizations or
individuals, and worry less about who is legitimate and who is simply
speaking for themselves.

ADD: I suppose I have a personal stake in the outcome of this debate. I'm
not participating here on behalf of any organization. While I am a member of
many organizations, I do not speak for any of them on IGF issues. So, if we
narrow the list of people who can participate to only NGOs, I will have to
leave.

        -- Bret