[governance] communication methods

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wz-berlin.de
Thu Apr 27 08:55:17 EDT 2006

Hi,

>> * Consensus can work when the scope is clear and there is broad
>> agreement on what success might look like. That is true for some
>> technical protocols, but it is almost never true for political
>> issues. Again, given the scope of CS, I think we must have a process
>> that can accept tension, conflict, and mutually incompatible
>> positions. These should be resolved only when they are show-stoppers,
>> rather than as part of the process of developing positions.
>
> I would argue that it may not even be true for some protocols.  but
> that is a discussion for another time and place.  the balance i think
> we have to find is how we can put out a statement as a caucus without
> needing consensus.  i think there is strength in the united statement
> and we need to find a way to arrive at such statement on a variety of
> themes without a great deal of community angst.

For me, common positions and "united statements" are the main goal of a
restructuring of the caucus.

I think of civil society as something that assumes two forms or states:
1. civil society is a heterogeneous, non-governmental space encompassing
differing experiences, opinions and aims, and 2. civil society is an
actor among other actors such as governments and industry, with a
message and the goal to influence political outcomes.

The caucus should try to accommodate both functions, that of a space and
that of an actor. In my view, it is not sufficient to articulate
cultural and political diversity. The caucus' political task is to
aggregate opinions and interests and to build common positions. We need
a structure that allows for diversity but also enables political impact.

jeanette