[governance] individuals

Gurstein, Michael gurstein at ADM.NJIT.EDU
Wed Apr 26 06:11:36 EDT 2006

Okay Milton, suppose that I (and a group of my friends and
acquaintances) decide that you and your friends and acquaintances are
interlopers in thrall to the great deepdishpizza god and that I and mine
are the one true followers of the CS faith and thus should be recognized
as THE CS-IGC.

What do we do then--
	a. arm wrestle for the designation,
	b. wait for the powers that be to decide who are the one true
followers of the faith (based on their, of course, completely
disinterested criteria).
	c. leave it for the "marketplace of ideas" to determine--where
you folks speak the dominant language (and the various specialized "we
group defining" sub-languages/dialects), are well known acquaintances of
the powers that be, have access to budgets that allow you to show up as
and where necessary to be recognized as the true adherents etc.etc.--all
of this of course, taking us immediately back to Danny's question about,
what about everybody else who isn't showing up (for whatever reason and
certainly just for the moment)...e.g. the 100 million Chinese Internet
users, or whomever...
	d. other

And for extra points, explain why the responsibility of coming up with
an appropriately inclusive mechanism should not be on those who are
making claims of legitimacy (in part on the implied basis that the
process is already appropriately inclusive i.e that this is, as you
suggest, THE CS-IGC), even though a reasonable number of people
observing the process are insisting that it isn't.

MG