[governance] accountabilty

Mawaki Chango ki_chango at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 25 21:42:29 EDT 2006

Hi,

Indeed, though I've understood that by accountability Meryem seemed to mean
reporting (in its various dimensions), I also miss the difference _in nature_
between individual's and NGO's (or any collective entity, for that matter)
accountability. Individuals, "representing" nobody but themselves, are accountable
to nobody but themeselves - and they are, as Avri rightly pointed out. The only
difference (of scale) is that with NGOs, claiming to be the "meaningful" voice of
many, they need continuously to relate the "voice" to "many," in order to ensure
that the voice still means that of the many - that "voice" and "many" are and remain
the same self, so to speak.

Mawaki