[governance] individuals

Bret Fausett bfausett at internet.law.pro
Tue Apr 25 11:35:04 EDT 2006

My guess is that we'll see many more individuals interested in IGF
than have been interested in ICANN. The scope of the agenda and the
potential impact on individuals are both larger than in ICANN, so I
expect to see many more people getting active. One thing that ICANN
experience tells us though is that most individuals won't pay
attention to this until the IGF actually convenes in Greece. When the
press starts to cover the event, people will be interested. Our goal
should be to have a mechanism for them to receive information, sign-
up for participation, and provide input, if they wish, in place by
the time the press wave hits in October. If we have resources for
individuals when they become interested, we ought to be able to
channel them into meaningful participatory roles and keep them
interested over the long term.

The role of individuals in governance issues is near and dear to my
heart, and I'd be willing to volunteer to help with this issue.

        Bret