[governance] coordinating the IGC

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Mon Apr 24 03:40:40 EDT 2006

Robert Guerra ha scritto:
> Am curious to know if those involved in large CS networks and/or NGOs
> can suggest additional names to help with facilitation and coordination
> of this caucus.
>
> For example, would anyone at APC, Ubuntu or NGLS be able and interested
> to  help out? Worth asking I guess...

This suggestion (even if I know that this wasn't your intention) reminds
me of another point I wanted to make, regarding the issue of membership.

I personally would be quite disturbed if the caucus took the road of the
  organizational membership, similarly to the HR Caucus (which however
had some specific reasons for that, as pointed out before). I would
recommend that caucus members do not wear hats while working here, and
do not act as representatives of this or that NGO, but as individual
human beings. Things could be different if you were to build a global,
complex representative structure, but as long as this caucus is meant to
be the "think-tank" of that handful of active people in the field, all
of us should be peers; and I think that we should not forget that the
Internet, even in the user rights advocacy field, has been up to now
very often, if not mostly, shaped by lonely active individuals.

I was already concerned by the idea of organizational endorsements in
our selection processes, as if names put forward by organizations were
for that very reason more deserving of consideration. I would not be
able to recognize myself in this caucus any more, if it became
practically dominated by a few big NGOs.