[governance] FYI:HR Caucus Membership - Was Re: IGC Participation

William Drake drake at hei.unige.ch
Sun Apr 23 07:55:07 EDT 2006

Hi Meryem,

Of course, I was suggesting that people who want to opt in, not that they be
enlisted by armed caucus police.

> IGC membership: when you're publicly listed as a member of a
> coalition, external people generally understand that you support, in
> some way or another, the coalition's positions. Providing a list of
> reservations in any IGC document would be a nightmare, and in any
> case longer than the document itself:)

I don't really see the problem here.  On procedural or any other matters where
there's not a lot of disagreement,we could stick with the silence is assent
model; far from ideal, but sometimes you have to work with what you have.  On
substantive policy matters on which there is disagreement, if we had a defined
constituency and a decent web tool, people who want to support a given
statement could sign on and be listed, and nobody who didn't could be presumed
to have supported the thing.

> In any case, I'm afraid Jeanette's proposal ("to keep the list as it
> is right now and restrict voting rights to those who regard
> themselves as members (as opposed to observers) and thus register as
> voting members") is hardly workable: we would very soon reach a state
> where people on the list (not to mention IGC coordinators) wont know
> whether list subscrivers are observers or members, and we would end
> with a difficult situation. Finally, I would add that problems may

Here again I'm not sure I see a problem.  If members who opt in are listed on a
web page, anyone who wants to know could check, and what complexities would
really arise if they were uncertain anyway?

> PS. Regarding your own case, Avri, I dont remember that you have ever
> been on the HR caucus mailing list (CPSR representatives have been
> Bill McIver and Katitza Rodriguez), and I'll add you right now.

Please add me too, I meant to do this long ago and forgot.

Best,

Bill