[governance] IGC Participation

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Sat Apr 22 11:53:40 EDT 2006

hi,

On 22 apr 2006, at 09.56, Jeanette Hofmann wrote:

> On 21 apr 2006, at 19.42, William Drake wrote:
>
>> 1.  Charter.  I've supported this before and still do.  However, I
>> would still
>> go beyond it, and suggest that we can't have properly functioning
>> consensus
>> building/voting on anything procedural or substantive, or indeed
>> democratic
>> legitimacy and accountability, if we don't have any idea who the
>> electorate/constituency is.   Hence, once a charter has been
>> assembled, I would
>> like to see people opt in and publicly become listed members of
>> the caucus, in
>> the same manner as the Human Rights Caucus,

I though the HRC was composed of individuals from various
organizations and that the organizations were the members.  I don't
really know.  i think i was on the HRC caucus list for a while based
on CPSR membership, but seem to have fallen off.  So I am not sure
how they are organized or how membership works.  Maybe somebody from
the HRC can explain.

>> so we finally know who actually
>> considers themselves to be a member (a large chunk of the 300
>> people on the
>> list probably do not), who we are talking to on caucus matters.
>
> Some months ago I proposed to keep the list as it is right now and
> restrict voting rights to those who regard themselves as members
> (as opposed to observers) and thus register as voting members. That
> way nothing would change for the majority of subscribers. Does this
> sound ok for both of you, Avri and Bill?

This is an idea that i think is worth considering.   I do worry,
however, about losing people from the list.  I think one of the
virtues of the IGC is its large size and the number of people who
read the list and participate at least occasionally. So I wonder if
you mean that the only criteria is that someone wishes to consider
them self a member with no regard for other attributes they may
have.  This could, for example, include someone who was a government
minister - as by some definition everyone can be considered  civil
society when they are at home acting as a citizen, parent and user of
the Internet.  From other things I have read, I am not sure that
everyone in the caucus can buy into this definition of member.  It
would be good to see this idea discussed.

I am also concerned about the mechanics of voting.  I  have not found
a good way to do it on-line.  I am still looking for the right
software and methods that would make it practical.  In a basic way it
looks like it might be the right thing to do, but I have trouble
understanding how we serve the various requirements, e.g.:
  - easy access for anyone with basic web access
  - difficult to capture
  - confirm identity of voter
  - confidential voting
  - basically at no cost
  - easy to manage
The Multistakehoder Modalities Working Group (MMWG) has adopted this
as part of their model, and while i am in favor of it (not surprising
perhaps) we have not yet found the right way to do it, though we did
hold successful elections for our co-chairs.  Seperate from the IGC
discussions, I do think a small group of intersted people should work
together to see if we can find a way to make voting feasible.  Then
at least a group like the IGC could decide whther it wanted to use
voting without needing to take the technical possibility into
account.  At this point I don't think we are there yet.

I am also not sure that the IGC is a voting organization, and that it
should not be consensus or rough consensus based instead.  But both
of these present difficulties as well.

As I have argued elsewhere, for a rough consensus model to work,
there needs to be a way to appeal the decision of the person who
calls the rough consensus.  E.g in almost any decision worth making,
there will be someone who objects strongly to the direction being
taken by the majority.  At some point though, the coordinator would
need to judge that rough consensus had been reached.  In some cases
the person who disagrees would look at this and accept it, but in
others, the person who objects might beleive that their viewpoint was
not given a fair hearing.  If there is no way to appeal the rough
consensus call then this person has no recourse other then anger and
the behavior that may result from anger.  So, in order to use rough
consensus one has to have some sort of adjudication body.  In the IGC
we don't have a higher authority to go to.   We could create a
council whose sole role was to adjudicate any appeal, but that is not
an idea that we have explored yet.  Otherwise, though, I don't know
how to do rough consensus.

There are, I believe, people on the list who also support a full
consensus model.  For some things I certainly do, and that is why I
am looking for full consensus on my candidacy for interim co-
coordinator.  for other things, like statements in the heat of
schedules, I believe it is impossible because it takes too long
especially when there is a difference of opinion.  In this case we
need to have a firm set of consensus positions decided in advance and
then restrict those writing positions to the content of those pre-
decided positions.  This, however leaves those involved in active
discussions hamstrung when it becomes necessary to comment on
something that the IGC has not developed a consensus position on.
This may be ok, but the IGC needs to consider how it want to deal
with this sort of case - as it will come up.

I think this is an important conversation for the caucus to have and
think that it is one of the most important components of the charter
i proposed we create, we need to figure out how we want to work.
First I believe we need to figure out the principles by which we want
to work, and then we need to be creative and figure out methods that
allow us to work according to those principles as much as possible.

Thanks to both Bill and Jeanette for getting the discussion started.

a.