[governance] Net neutrality & IG - a proposal to the IGC

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Apr 13 02:22:32 EDT 2006

Michael Gurstein wrote:

>> In that context the question of Network Neutrality is not fundamental but
rather secondary to the realization of the public interest-->>

That is exactly the point. That is why though there is a lot of talk around
(strangely, much more in arenas outside IGC than inside it) about the NN
issue as an important issue to be taken by IGF --- and though this concern
trigged our IGF proposal - the proposal was written deliberately not in
terms of NN but in terms of 'public-ness'.

And I used this 'public-ness' term as a broader term than public interest
because

(1)the term 'public interest' can get constructed too narrowly, with each
taking one's own conception of it

(2)there were connected issues of reclaiming the 'public sphere or domain'
on the Internet, that many CS activists in the IPR arena speak about. And
there are infrastructure issues like open spectrum and ownership of spectrum
- and I thought there was a common thread running through these Internet
related issues (which are at the base of the political lines of contestation
in the emerging information society) which our theme proposal tries to
capture.

>> Internet (or its carriage) should (not) be

seen solely from the perspective of the (or "a") market, but rather as a

place where the public interest (the achievement of public goods) can

and should be realized.>>

Yes, there is a market component/ aspect of the Internet - and public
interest in context of this market aspect needs to be preserved - and NN
principle means to do that. And as you rightly observe, there are other
non-market aspects of the Internet which are as important, and nature of
public interest in these respects may be different, and remains paramount.

>>>if NN supports the public interest, well and good; if it doesn't then the
public interest should prevail and NN should be structured so as to
accommodate this.>>>

Of course. NN is not by itself important, it is merely a technical issue -
it is the public interest that is important. Technology advances towards
more and more possibilities and that also means more differentiation. The
issue is how these technology advances and increased possibilities used for
public interest. (In fact I can already think of some public interest issues
that can be used to overrule network neutrality.)

And I do not understand what special public-private complementarily Milton
speaks about which is not there in most other public infrastructure. The
road infrastructure which is certainly public also connects the private
spaces (say, our home) to private spaces (our office) which we can travel in
private spaces (our cars). But this doesn't take away from the essential
public nature of the road infrastructure. So whats the problem in asserting
the essential public nature of the Internet!

In fact, that there seems to such a problem in some (strong and dominant)
quarters to do so is the real justification of our public-ness proposal.

Many IS concepts and theorizations have a congenital neo-liberal dominant
slant, in sharp contrast to the traditional public-private balance of the
yester-decades. And this slant hurts the developing countries a lot. We have
tried to argue such congenital deformity of IS discourse in our recent paper
on 'political economy of the IS'
(http://wsispapers.choike.org/papers/eng/itfc_political_economy_is.pdf )

Parminder

Parminder Jeet Singh