[governance] NomCom nomination statments - To publish or not to Publish

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Wed Apr 12 18:08:29 EDT 2006

Le 12 avr. 06 à 23:34, Avri Doria a écrit :

> hi,
>
> If i understand you correctly you object to people having the ability
> to decide for themselves whether they want their info published?

Not at all, Avri. And I would fight for their fundamental right to
privacy be respected, in such a case.
I object - or more exactly, I find unbelievable - that individuals,
running into a process of candidating for recommendation by a group
of people (or in its name, I mean here the IGC), refuse to disclose
to this group of people the very information on which their
recommendation would be decided, and to even disclose the simple fact
that they are candidating.
The fact that the choice (I'm careful of not using the word
'election') has been delegated to a nomcom shouldn't matter here.
And, BTW, it's really putting the nomcom members in a difficult
situation to ask them to decide on non public information. This may
lead to suspicion, and they don't deserve that.

[...]

Personally I see this as a compromise between transparency and
> privacy.

I cannot agree with you here since since I don't think it's a matter
of privacy (see above). It's only a matter of transparency. So,
normally, there is no need to find a balance.
It's only a way to work out a situation where something has been
forgotten in the conditions of the process. And it's by no mean your
fault since no one added this condition when the whole process was
presented. People who thought, like you and me, that it was obvious,
had no reason to add this. But what about the others ?

> But if you have a better way to balance the two, please
> suggest something.

I can only suggest common sense, but not sure this works:)

> I would also welcome an extended conversation on how one balances
> transparency and privacy. Personally I often find the line between
> the two difficult to judge, especially when taking multicultural
> expectations into account.

Maybe next time (specially if drinking this delicious Danish 'little
grey' beverage:). I mean, not during this process. And when it's an
actual question of privacy, yes, of course it's difficult to judge,
and decision is generally made on a case by case basis. In the media
sector, there has been for long a lot of discussion (I mean, true
wars) on how to balance transparency (and right of the public to
information) with privacy. I'm not sure it's the right list to
discuss this.

Meryem