[governance] NomCom nomination statments - To publish or not to Publish

Avri Doria avri at psg.com
Sun Apr 9 01:07:36 EDT 2006

Hi,

Looking for a sense of the caucus on this issue.

to explain:  In putting this nomcom thing together one hole i left in
the procedural definition was whether the nominations statement that
were sent in to the nomcom should be published on not.

The two alternatives are pretty obvious:

(1) do as we did in the WGIG process, and publish them on a website
         (ref. http://www.net-gov.org/wgig/nominees.php)

(2) do as other nomcoms do and keep them private to the nomcom

I thought option (1) was obvious as we have based this process on
what was done in WGIG with the exception that we added a method for
selecting members of nomcom.

But since I had neglected to mention that the nomination statements
would be published, I felt I had to confirm with each of the few
(very few incidentally) nominations that had come in on whether they
were willing for their nominations to be published on the web site
being set up for this purpose.  In this dialogue the question was
posed.  This caused me to start consulting both with the members of
the nomcom and with some members of the caucus and I have gotten a
mixed message.

Some of the reasons I am hearing (very much in my own words):

- transparency (1)
- might limit nominations due to fear of loss of face (2)
- allows nomcom to reject a famous person who would seem unrejectable
if her name was published (2)
- subjects people's nomination statements to a giggle test (1)
- might be easier for people from  one culture to do then those from
another (2)
- demonstrates the thick skin necessary for someone in such a role (1)

I am about to send out another reminder for the nomination process.
In this I will ask the nominees to indicate if they are willing to
have their statement published on a web site.  But I will wait to do
so until i have seen which way he consensus in this groups tends.

thanks

a.