[governance] Net neutrality & IG - a proposal to the IGC

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Apr 8 00:50:20 EDT 2006

Danny,

>>"resisting privatisation" rather than

being "neutral">>

Exactly, that's why we framed the debate in terms of 'public-ness' (private
and public as essentially opposites) and not of just network neutrality
(NN).

And to address the issues you raise about diversity, and the concerns of
those who were left out in the "good old days", we must note that
'public-ness' is not necessarily about the global public, there are local
publics and diversified publics. However, we also need to understand that
the complexities of their inter-relationship are going through some
significant changes, all of which are not necessarily bad. And there have to
governance components corresponding to these changes.

About NN being basically a US concern, I have grave doubts on this (as Bill
also mentioned in his April fool mail) ..... While we need to encourage
diversity, this cannot be done by denying reality. By denying the extent of
today's globalization, and the US centricity of it, it doesn't go away. But
by denying we may not address issues which could reduce the detrimental
effects of this kind of neo-liberal globalization.

Bret has also earlier raised the issue about network neutrality (NN) being a
US issue, and I wonder why so many people should think so..... It is so
obvious that it is not, and to give only a few arguments

1.    The manner in which the economic and social issues around Internet
take shape in different countries have so many commonalities, it is
untenable to believe that NN is today an issue in US and it wont be a issue
in other places. It most certainly will be. And as I explained NN is much
more complex that the one-dimensional common carriage issue, and the
socio-economics pulls around it are going to much more intensive.

2.    US continues to be the main exporter of economic models - and even
social models - to the world, and this, though being a decades old
phenomenon, has only intensifies in recent years.

3.    Linked to 2 above, as pointed out by Bill in the referred mail, a lot
of work is being done by US centred MNC groups to develop technology
standards that can set limits to possibilities in the future - for everyone.

4.    Also linked to 2 above, and also mentioned in Bill's email, once
dominant models are set in the US and the North, the logic of globalization
leaves little public policy freedom to other countries to determine their
polices, and the same is also true of Internet related polices.

So for the CS, even in countries outside the US it will be better to lead
the debates in these areas than react to them. India is actively debating
switching to next generation networks. The ICTD models imported from the
North that prioritized revenue models over development objectives have done
enough harm in the South, now we better remain vigilant against overly
commercial models of Internet development being imported - the balance of
public interest must be maintained.

>> Like

all of us here (I think) I work toward an Internet where every person

in the world has equal opportunity to interact with the others that

they choose.>>

Yes, it is on the basis of these clearly agreed (among us), but not codified
principles (in regard to the Internet) that I propose to the IGC to move
forward in trying to develop the basic principles of Internet and IG, and
propose them to the world community for adoption. It has been typically the
role of civil society to trigger such activity. Even if it is not something
that may get immediate acceptability at present, the process still needs to
be taken up.

I am still interested in the 'what next' issue - how can we in the IGC
influence the development of global and sub-global public policy on IG
towards the directions that we want it to go in.

Best

Parminder

Parminder Jeet Singh

IT for Change