[governance] [A2k] Re: [Wsis-pct] IP Justice Comment to IGF on Top Policy Issues forAthens

James Love james.love at cptech.org
Tue Apr 4 10:44:24 EDT 2006

I am wondering if the emphasis on the term DRM is the wrong one.   I
believe the objections are partly about technical protection measures
(TPMs), which make it impossible to access works.   The various
versions of the GPL are themselves types of DRMs, as are the creative
commons, Apache or Berkley licenses.    The problems I think people
are most concerned about are the technical enforcement of DRM
licenses, particularly if these are driven into the hardware of
computers and other devices.   Also, within the DRM area, the problem
are what might be considered "unfair" or "anticompetitive" terms in
licenses, and the efforts by some to make non-negotiated instruments
enforceable as contracts.

   Jamie