[governance] Net neutrality & IG

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Mon Apr 3 15:40:15 EDT 2006

Bret, I certainly see it as a global issue - the nature of the threat takes
different form in different countries, but includes actions such as

*

	attempts to regulate and charge VOIP as some sort of different case
to other Internet traffic in order to defend telco monopoly spaces
*

	attempts to regulate and promote broadcast style channels of
advertiser supported Internet content on free to air or cable (or in some
cases mobile) to provide a limited access to a subset of Internet content -
and to make that so widely available that the wider (non advertiser
supported) Internet by default becomes some sort of second class network
*

	I would probably extend the definition to attempts (even one
Australian political party has done this) to regulate ISPs to provide a
default set of "safe" Internet content, with subscribers having to "opt in"
to the "non-safe" content if they want the rest of the Internet. That sort
of action takes several forms in a number of countries. China usually gets a
mention here but I am sure there are many others. This latter might be
stretching the definition a little, but if the principles of net neutrality
were better understood and the phenomenal media growth and innovation which
have sprung from this unique aspect of the Internet were better appreciated,
regulators might think differently about this range of issues.

Ian Peter

   _____