[governance] A minimalist solution

Ken Lohento klohento at panos-ao.org
Mon Apr 3 11:17:02 EDT 2006

Dear Meryem

I think, first, that there are some misunderstandings, second that it's
going as if the African CS is the responsible or the only "group" that did
not mention the IG caucus in its contributions. Sorry if I didn't well
understand you.  I'm saying this because you wonder "wouldn't it be
preferable to leave these proposals made by African CS ?".

There can not be a competition between the African CS or ACSIS (which sent
my proposals and Mawaki's  - if we can speak in that way) and the IG Caucus
because ACSIS is not a WSIS caucus. So there is no problem of branding - you
said "Other caucuses also want their "brand" appearing in the process".
ACSIS is a network like any other civil society entity having "members" in
the IG Caucus (like the other entities that didn't mention the IG Caucus
name in submitting their proposal - this was not intentional I think). ACSIS
is formally different from the African Civil Society WSIS Caucus but I
understand you may thought it was a WSIS caucus. Moreover, there are
proposals discussed here  and written in the format adopted here that have
been submitted by other formal WSIS caucuses or groups. Maybe there is a
problem of branding there but I don't think people behave to compete with
the IG Caucus. I think things were not clear and we didn't well coordinate
this, and maybe because we had a deadline, people thought the main issue was
that the proposals are sent. And I think it possible we should correct and
at least add that the contributions have been used according to the IGC
format, to give tribute to the Caucus.

Regards

Ken L