[governance] a masochistic try - 3 IGC priorities

Meryem Marzouki marzouki at ras.eu.org
Mon Apr 3 10:55:21 EDT 2006

Let me make a masochistic try, given the expected replies, and
specially after having bothered you with so many messages today:)

What are the priorities of the IGC, if not the issues that are most
discussed on this list since its creation ?
Starting from this, I would list (without any order, my masochism has
limits...):

- DNS management/ICANN
- Multistakeholderism/process
- Affordability/Standards/Access (in one form or another)
In addition, this caucus has constantly shown its commitment to the
respect for freedom of expression and privacy.

In one word, governance, governance, and governance. In addition, not
only governance, but good governance.

Who would then be against the following plain IGC proposal with three
priorities (while making clear that this doesn't mean other proposals
are not important, and don't deserve working groups, side workshops,
etc.):

- Milton's proposal entitled "Enhanced cooperation for coordination
and management of critical Internet
resources"
- Bill's proposal entitled "The WSIS Principles on Internet
Governance: Follow-up and Implementation"
- Parminder's proposal entitled "Defining and fostering the ‘public-
ness’ of the Internet – issues of public interest, public domain,
public infrastructure and public good in the context of the Internet"
With, in addition, a support to the task force on "Human Rights and
Internet Governance" suggested by the HR caucus, making clear, like
we did, that it's at the same time substantive and operational, i.e.
not simply a discussion theme.

There is some overlap between the three proposals (Milton's, Bill's
and Parminder's), but no contradiction among them. So one could
reinforce the others.
Moreover, while other caucuses proposals are also making their way
with their own brand, discussion on these IGC proposals would
inevitably lead to discussions on many other submissions made, or at
least on many of their aspects (Mawaki's two proposal, Ken's
proposal, Milton's other proposal on "affordable access", HR caucus
two proposals on "Interconnection costs" and "Access to knowledge and
Technical standards"). No doubt that they would intersect with parts
of APC proposal. This would allow IGC proposal greater chances to get
through.

What do you think ?

Meryem [bullet-proff jacket worn]