[governance] What a mess!

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Apr 3 08:15:25 EDT 2006

Sorry to add to the confusion, but, we had made this small outreach effort
to call for endorsements of CS organizations that may or may not have been
involved in WSIS. And compared to the outreach effort the response has been
huge. Especially also in the context of the limited time and the fact that
many organizations generally were enthusiastic about saving the Internet for
our common purposes but a bit unsure of some of the technical terms involved
in the debate.

Response to the call was still coming in when today morning I decided to cut
it off - and send the proposal to the IGF, because I was getting a bit
nervous about the timelines, and wanted to send it early in the day for IGF
office.

Since most of these supporting organizations are outside IGC, I thought it
necessary to send the proposal directly to the IGF as well, with the names
of supporting organizations. Now, I am not sure which category does this
proposal stand as - though it originated very much from IGC and always
desired to a part of IGC submissions.

I will be very happy to have this proposal sent through the IGC bunch (if
one is going), while keeping the names of supporting organizations on the
proposal.

On the different note, I am enclosing the proposal as sent to IGF, and also
listing the names of the supporting organizations below here. I also take
the opportunity to thank all the organizations that extended their support.

Parminder

List of organizations that supported the IGF theme proposal - Defining and
fostering the 'public-ness' of the Internet - issues of public interest,
public domain, public infrastructure and public good in the context of the
Internet

Proposed by IT for Change, India, with support of the following civil
society organizations.

1.	World Radio and Television Council
2.	Comunica-ch, the platform of Swiss civil society for the Information
Society
3.	HIVOS, Netherlands
4.	African Women's Development and Communication Network (FEMNET)
5.	Foundation for Media Alternatives, Philippines
6.	Public Affairs Foundation, Bangalore
7.	Alternate Law Forum, Bangalore
8.	femLINKPACIFIC: Media Initiatives for Women, Fiji Islands
9.	International Gender and Trade Network - Asia
10.	IP Justice
11.	United Nations Association of Uganda
12.	Development Alternatives with Women for a New Era (DAWN)
13.	Third World Institute (ITeM), Uruguay
14.	Association for Progressive Communications
15.	Isis International-Manila
16.	Madhyam, Bangalore
17.	The Centre for Women's Research, Sri Lanka
18.	Action Aid International-India
19.	Panos Institute West Africa
20.	Danish United Nations Association
21.	Voices, Bangalore
22.	Mahila Samakhaya, Karnataka, India
23.	Mazdoor Kissan Shakti Sangathan, India
24.	Kutch Mahila Vikas Sangathan, India
25.	Abhiyan, India

Parminder Jeet Singh

IT for Change