[governance] Paper tabled by Argentina

Robert Guerra rguerra at lists.privaterra.org
Fri Sep 30 07:10:19 EDT 2005

Here is the paper tabled by Argentina.  10 countries + likely the
African group behind it.

Look forward for comments at the IG meeting this afternoon.

regards

Robert

--

PART 5 :

We recognize the efforts deployed by the initiators of the Internet,
and the need to guarantee a stable and secure operation of this
efficient tool for humanity. We are also convinced that there is a
need for an evolutionary process towards a new transparent,
democratic, and multilateral framework, with the participation of
government, private sector, civil society and international
organizations.

We support the evolution and internationalization of the Internet
governance system, based on the Geneva Principles through existing
and future mechanisms, institutions and fora.

It is our conviction that all stakeholders -- governments, the
private sector, civil society and other interested parties -- should
actively participate in Internet governance in a coordinated and
balanced manner, commensurate with their respective roles and
responsibilities.

We recall that the main responsibility of all stakeholders is
awareness raising, capacity building and to propose solutions to
accelerate availability and affordability of Internet in developing
world.

In order to strengthen the global multistakeholder interaction and
cooperation on public policy issues and developmental aspects
relating to Internet governance we propose a forum.

This forum should not replace existing mechanisms or institutions but
should build on the existing structures on Internet governance,
should contribute to the sustainability, stability and robustness of
the Internet by addressing appropriately public policy issues that
are not otherwise being adequately addressed (referred to in
para....) excluding any involvement in the day to day operation of
the Internet.  It should be constituted as a neutral, non-duplicative
and non-binding process to facilitate the exchange of information and
best practices and to identify issues and make known its findings, to
enhance awareness and build consensus and engagement.  Recognizing
the rapid development of technology and institutions, we propose that
the forum mechanism periodically be reviewed to determine the need
for its continuation.

We also encourage the development of multistakeholder processes at
the national and regional levels to discuss and collaborate on
Internet expansion and dissemination and support development efforts
to achieve Millenium Declaration goals and to support global processes.

We further recommend an evolutionary approach to existing
arrangements which aims to ensure that they operate in an efficient,
transparent, and democratic multistakeholder fashion, and also to
ensure equitable resource distribution leading to internationalized
functions of the Internet, in particular with the following actions:
The reinforcement of the role of Governments in ICANN decision making
with regard to relevant Internet public policy issues;
The reinforcement of the Internet Regional Resource Management
Institutions, to ensure regional autonomy in Internet resource
management;
The continued internationalization of ICANN and its functions;
The strengthening of the participation of developing countries in
specialized institutions for the technical management and
standardization Internet bodies.

Call for the follow up of this evolutionary approach which should be
in the context of relevant international institutions, and
coordinated by the UN system.

We call upon the UN Secretary General to organize the forum as soon
as possible in 2006.

--
Robert Guerra <rguerra at privaterra.org>
Director, Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR)