[governance] oversight stmt

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Wed Sep 28 18:34:30 EDT 2005

Hi,

Actually I have two reasons:

The first and major one is I missed the comment until i was up
against the deadline and had to submit.  And to answer the question
of why the rush, this was the last chance to get a statement in that
would be even noticed and, many of you were so displeased with the
language we had on record.

Second is, I am not sure I agree with it.  While I may see reason for
some sort of formal arrangement, a contract that makes them subject
to some entity, may actually weaken something I see as a possibly a
strength.  So it would have taken a whole lot of dialogue to
convince, at least me, that this was a good thing.

In a sense what i tried to put in the text was nothing that would
make someone want to balk.  So yes, it may be a minimal agreeable
position (with a few abstentions), but it was the best I could pull
off under these time constraints.  This does not mean that I don't
see reason to further develop our position.  It is not like the
dialogue will finish tomorrow or the day after.  As it is, I think we
have the beginnings of what might a good middle way - between the
model 1/3 fans and the 'no change ever ever' folks.

a.