[governance] [WSIS CS-Plenary] slight postponement oftoday'scaucus meeting

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Fri Sep 23 03:00:00 EDT 2005

William Drake ha scritto:
> Hi Carlos,

I think your reconstruction, at least at first sight, looks correct,
with just one note:

> caucus people were present, meetings and online, and I don't recall anyone
> contesting the idea that there should be a multistakeholder mechanism for
> dialogue, analysis, and trend monitoring of the IG "broad agenda".

Actually, there are people (me included) who think that the mission of
the forum should go beyond "dialogue, analysis, and trend monitoring",
and include starting up open working groups and drafting policy
recommendations with a non-binding status, that could become "de facto
binding" over time if the forum gained sufficient credibility and
support to make so happen.

I am not sure any more of where consensus is in this caucus (if we have
any) on the precise mission of the forum. However, the consensus of the
WGIG was that the aforementioned idea is an integral part of the mission
of the proposed forum. So, while I don't think there is consensus on
making the forum a sort of "Emperor of the Internet", there is no
consensus either on making it a place where once a year we shake hands,
watch nice powerpoints and go have dinner together at Les Brasseurs, and
then we get back home until the following year.

Just to make things clearer :-)