[governance] Speaking up

Adam Peake (ajp@glocom.ac.jp) apeake at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 06:05:00 EDT 2005

I agree with Vittorio 100%.

And this is a time to work with the private sector and technical
community, we have a stronger voice together in this and our interests
are the same.

Adam (from England... missing Geneva already :-)

On 9/28/05, Vittorio Bertola <vb at bertola.eu.org> wrote:
> I think the moment has come to speak up and read Avri's protest statement
> against the exclusion of civil society and private sector from drafting
> groups.
>
> I have been spending the last 60 minutes speaking with some governments,
> with the business people, and with some of us. The business people are
> meeting right now to decide whether to speak up, but it seems likely they
> will, especially if we do the same. Some governments (both EU, and non-EU
> from the developed world) have told us that they would support us, but
> that they need to get a strong, formal and public protest from
> non-governmental actors first. The EU is meeting at the topmost level
> today at 3pm (the only high level group meeting in the week) and so would
> need that statement before then.
>
> If we don't speak this morning, we risk missing the train. Yesterday civil
> society people were repeatedly excluded from more and more drafting
> groups. If we go down this path, it could even happen that the next round
> of forum discussions, or even the forum itself, would adopt the same rules
> of procedure, and be "multistakeholder" in the sense that CS and PS speak
> in the first five minutes and then leave.
>
> We need to not accept losing one inch of ground on this issue. We need to
> get consistent support from as many countries as possible, in public, so
> that it can't be easily withdrawn. To do so, I think we have to confront
> them with the risk (which, I think, would actually become reality) of the
> Internet community refusing to participate in any new mechanism due to
> this kind of treatment, and contesting the Summit through the press, which
> would possibly turn the entire Tunis Summit into a failure for what
> regards IG.
>
> These are my two cents. I hope that other people can support this point of
> view, so that we can make a statement this morning. In any case, if we
> can't manage to get proper closure on it due to shortage of time, I would
> do it anyway, signing it with as many signatories as we can get.
> --
> vb.               [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<------
> http://bertola.eu.org/  <- Vecchio sito, nuovo toblòg...

Email from Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp>
Email from my Gmail account probably means I am travelling.  Please
reply to  <ajp at glocom.ac.jp> Thanks!