[governance] US speaking + followup on CS participation

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Thu Sep 29 04:40:25 EDT 2005

On Gio, 29 Settembre 2005 9:51, McTim disse:
> On 9/28/05, Vittorio Bertola <vb at bertola.eu.org> wrote:
>> If I got it well... sorry, didn't get it well, I hope someone has more
>> precise wording and wouldn't want to say something incorrect, but... the
>> US just said that they cannot accept any language that might imply that
>> they would not maintain their role of guarantee in the day-to-day
>> management of the Internet.
>
> This was wholly expected, no?

Sure, but... my feeling (speaking personally) is that the EU released a
position a bit too radical (I can't give you more details, but I can tell
you that if Italy was asked to give a national position before an EU one
was developed, that would be that no governmental oversight over the DNS
would be needed, but just a horizontal relationship between the forum and
ICANN) and that provoked eventually the strong public reaction from the
US, which had previously refrained from stating that clearly.

At the same time, it is clear that either the US is available to make some
concessions, even if minimal, or no deal will be possible.
--
vb.               [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<------
http://bertola.eu.org/  <- Vecchio sito, nuovo toblòg...