[governance] Please give feedback to Position Paper

Ronda Hauben ronda at panix.com
Sat Sep 17 18:16:54 EDT 2005

Hi Max

I just read the position paper you are working on about Internet
governance and found it valuable.

I have a few quick comments to make

1. Good to see A3 where you explain the nature of the Internet as a
resource

2. Good to see A5 and the explaination of the Internet as a means to
empower people (I wouldn't call the Internet a tool - it is a system).

It is good to see you refer to it as a space also, but I wondered if there
was some reason you didn't refer to the user who is so empowered as the
'netizen'.

Later you use the term netizen but never really connect it with the
potential for participation and empowerment that you attribute to the
Internet.

3. A problem I have with the activities ongoing with regard to Internet
governance is that the need to have online means of participation is
something I see critical. This makes netizenship possible.

Instead 'civil society' has been introduced as a 'representative' of
people.

The whole point of Internet governance is that netizens don't need
'representatives'.

They can participate to represent themselves.

If 'civil society' wants to make sure that there are online processes
so that netizens can participate in internet goverannce, that would be
a helpful role that 'civil society' could play. But it doesn't seem
appropriate to me to substitute 'civil society' for netizenship.

4. Do you know "Netizens: On the History and Impact of Usenet and the
Internet"? It is online at http://www.columbia.edu/~rh120

There is a 'draft declaration of the rights of netizens' online there that
may prove helpful to you.

Good to see this document.

Please keep me informed of its progress.

with best wishes

Ronda

--
Netizens: On the History and Impact of Usenet and the Internet
http://www.columbia.edu/~hauben/netbook