[governance] Civil society shut out of the drafting groups

Robert Guerra rguerra at lists.privaterra.org
Tue Sep 27 13:35:41 EDT 2005

Lee:

two quick comments:

1. Civil society can stay in the room if the countries , all of them,
in the drafting room agree that it's ok. if not, then the default is
to go to the rules of procedure that state that CS has to leave after
making a statement .

2. it seems that Brazil agreed with having CS in the room only after
a specific directed question by the chair if it in fact was siding
with china or not.

The broad question right now is what to do - i see three possible

1. do nothing and accept the decision.
2. Have CS as a whole issue a statement - that is, if there is agreement
3. If there is no overall consensus by CS - then individual NGOs are
free, as they normally are, to issue a statement .

Many govts are quite supportive of CS and are very upset at the
development by china to push CS out, when in fact there is some
flexibility. They are looking for CS to react in a strong fashion.
Will we? let's see...

regards,

Robert

--