[governance] Consensus on the forum issue

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 06:45:31 EDT 2005

Hi Jeanette,

On 9/22/05, Jeanette Hofmann <jeanette at wz-berlin.de> wrote:
> As far as I understand nobody opposes the idea of a forum in principle.

Just to clarify, we are still speaking of the forum function when we
say "forum", correct?
If so, I am not opposed (in principle).

> Nobody supports the position of the business sector, which doesn't even
> recognize the need for a venue where Internet related issues can be
> discussed.

Probably because they support lots of open, transparent, bottom up
venues already?
<snip>

> I would like to know if this is a correct description of our controversy?

sounds about right to me.

> If so, I would like to suggest a possible compromise between these two
> differing views.
> The civil society statement has language to the effect that the forum
> can make decisions if all participating statekholders agree with this.
> (Former versions of Bill's statement included this clause. I think it
> only disappeared for the sake of brevity.) In other words, any extention
> of the forum's authority would have to be consensus-based and bottom up.

Hmm <nose of camel under tent>

> The second common element I see has been pointed out by Avri. In her
> view, the forum has to earn its authority. It can only gain political
> authority if it is regarded useful by those who participante in the forum.
> Decision making authority for the forum would thus depend on two related
> if's: consensus among the participants and legitimate outcomes. This
> implies that the forum may grow over time. It would start in a very
> modest way with nothing but advisory functions but its authority could
> increase over time depending on its productivity and legitimacy.
> What do people think? Can we find a consensus along these lines?

I could buy into this if there were well defined limitations about the
roles it could NOT grow to encompass. Maybe.

Thanks for your hard work. It is a creative idea.

--
Cheers,

McTim
nic-hdl:      TMCG