[governance] US speaking + followup on CS participation

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu.org
Wed Sep 28 13:59:25 EDT 2005

If I got it well... sorry, didn't get it well, I hope someone has more
precise wording and wouldn't want to say something incorrect, but... the
US just said that they cannot accept any language that might imply that
they would not maintain their role of guarantee in the day-to-day
management of the Internet. And praised (to this respect) the Argentinian
proposal, while being silent on the EU one.

On the other hand, they said, if you want to create a forum to increase
the security of the Internet by solving spam and viruses, we're not
necessarily opposed.

Now, session adjourned until tomorrow at 10am, when the various proposals
will be discussed.

But what I wanted to ask is: did we get any (informal) reaction from
Karklins or Khan on our statement from this morning? If not, we should
follow up and ask what was decided in the meeting of drafting group Chairs
at lunch. The Chair said drafting on the substantial part will happen in
plenary as a "guarantee for civil society"... and yet we can't be happy of
talking five minutes and then staying silent. We'll need to address this
in some way, to reiterate that these procedures are not acceptable for the
Forum.
--
vb.               [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<------
http://bertola.eu.org/  <- Vecchio sito, nuovo toblòg...