[governance] Comments at plenary - Sept 27 AM

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Tue Sep 27 04:52:33 EDT 2005

I read some text this morning.  As the CS plenary decided that we
should not present the draft discussed in content and themes and
various CS lists, we dropped that text for now.  What I think I said
(pretty on the fly) was:

Good morning Mr. Chair

Thank you for your personal efforts to ensure transparency and
inclusion, your efforts since the publication of the WGIG report are
much appreciated.

However, Civil Society is disappointed that we will not be able to
participate fully in the drafting groups.  And that the rules and
procedures for this prepcom now seem unclear to all.

Could you explain the situation regarding drafting groups?

We note your new compilation document of comments received, and are
pleased to see that some civil society comments have been included.
But also note some have not been included.  For example last Friday
we made comments about 43c.  These comments were also mentioned by a
government in sub committee yesterday.  But they are not mentioned in
your new document, nor were they mentioned during the drafting group
meeting that discussed 43 yesterday.  Did we have rights to speak in
that drafting group?  Could we have reminded the group that we had
already submitted comments and those comments were already on the
prepcom3 website.

I think you can understand our confusion.  Can we join and speak in
drafting groups?  Are our comments made to sub-committee A being
taken into consideration?

We would appreciate clarity on this. We were expecting some
resolution yesterday.

Thank you.

END.

Izumi has sent some notes with the chair's response you should
already have seen.

I think bad precedence is being set.  Above was read in my name and
that of GLOCOM and on behalf of the IG caucus so is my
responsibility, I thought something had to be said.

Thanks,

Adam