[governance] Updated version of oversight stmt.

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Wed Sep 28 12:54:57 EDT 2005

I have attempted to combine Milton and Karen's comments with my
concerns.
does this work?

we need, if at all possible to reach closure tonight if we want this
statement to be
included for consideration.

almost last call folks.

a.

----

Political Oversight

62b: We recognize that the time has come for a change in the political
oversight of the logical Internet infrastructure. We do not recommend
the creation of a new inter-governmental oversight organization for
domain names and IP addresses. However, we do recommend the
following changes with regard to ICANN be implemented in a reasonable
time frame:

1. The US Government recommits to handing over its pre-eminent role of
stewardship in relation to ICANN and the DNS root.

2. ICANN must ensure full and equal multi-stakeholder participation on
its Board and throughout its organizational structure of the community
of Internet users, national governments, civil society, the technical
community,
business associations, non profit organizations and non-business
organizations.

3. ICANN must ensure that it establishes clear, transparent rules and
procedures commensurate with international norms and principles for
fair administrative decision-making to provide for predictable policy
outcomes.

4. There should be a process for extraordinary appeal of ICANN'S
decisions in the form of an independent multi-stakeholder review
commission invoked on a case-by-case basis.

  Note: Just to be clear, we are not calling for an inter-governmental
            oversight structure, and we don't see an independent review
           process as a path towards that direction.

5. ICANN will negotiate an appropriate host country agreement to
replace its California Incorporation, being careful to retain those
aspects of its California Incorporation that enhance its accountability
to the global Internet user community.

6. ICANN's decisions, and any host country agreement must be
required to comply with public policy requirements negotiated through
international treaties in regard to, inter alia, human rights treaties,
privacy rights, and trade rules.  Governments,  individuals, and
international organizations, including NGOs, would  have the right
and responsibility of bringing violations of these requirements
to the attention of ICANN and if satisfactory resolution cannot be
reached
using ICANN internal processes, should have the right to invoke a
binding
appeals process.

7. Once all of the above conditions are met, the US Government
shall transfer the IANA function to ICANN.

8. It is expected that the International multistakeholder community
will take part in the process through participation in the ICANN
process.
It is also expected that the multistakeholder community will observe and
comment on the progress made in this process through the proposed Forum.