[governance] oversight stmt

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Wed Sep 28 11:04:04 EDT 2005

hi,

i have added the some woring in 5 that i think we can reach agreement
on. i also added a section 7 that may be more difficult for you to
swallow especially those who want an FC.

i am wondering if there is any chance in this or any other world
where we can reach consensus on some text.  the original text is
already on the record, so if we can reach agreement of better text,
that might be a good thing.

if possible i would suggest that people recommend specific changes
that others can then discuss.

a.

Political Oversight

62b: We recognize that the time has come for a change in the political
oversight of the logical Internet infrastructure. We do not recommend
the creation of a new oversight organization for domain names and IP
addresses. However, we do recommend the following changes with regard to
ICANN be implemented in a reasonable time frame:

1. The US Government recommits to handing over its pre-eminent role of
stewardship in relation to ICANN.

2. ICANN must ensure full and equal multi-stakeholder participation on
its Board and throughout its organizational structure by the community
of Internet users, civil society, the technical community, private
sector and governments.

3. ICANN must ensure that it establishes clear, transparent rules and
procedures commensurate with international norms and principles for fair
administrative decision-making to provide for predictable policy
outcomes.

4. ICANN must establish a process for extraordinary appeal of its
decisions in the form of an independent multi-stakeholder review
commission, established on a case-by-case basis. Just to be clear, we
are not calling for an oversight structure, and we don't see an
independent review process as a path towards that direction.

5. ICANN will negotiate an appropriate host country agreement to
replace its California Incorporation.

6. ICANN's decisions, and any host country agreement must be required
to comply with public policy requirements negotiated through
international
treaties, e.g in regard to human rights treaties,  privacy rights, trade
rules, and cybercrime treaties.  Governement and International
organizations,
including NGOs, would have the right and repsonsibility of bringing
violations
of these requirements to the attention of ICANN and if satisfactory
resolution
cannot be reached using ICANN internal processes, would have the
right to
invoke the appeal process.

7. Once all the conditions listed above are met, the US Government
transfers the IANA function to ICANN.

8. It is understood that achieving these
conditions will rely on negotiations between ICANN and the US
Government.  It
is expected that the International multistakeholder community will
take part
in the process thought participation in ICANN process.  It is also
expected
the the multistakeholder community will observe
and comment on the progress made in this process through the Forum.