[governance] Updated version of oversight stmt.

karen banks karenb at gn.apc.org
Wed Sep 28 14:03:26 EDT 2005

hi

 > 6. ICANN's decisions, and any host country agreement[add:,] must be
 > required to comply with public policy requirements negotiated through
 > international treaties in regard to, inter alia, human rights treaties,
 > privacy rights, and trade rules.

bill said: [COMMENT: I UNDERSTAND MILTON'S THINKING, BUT WE CANNOT CHERRY
PICK POLICY
FRAMEWORKS WE LIKE, E.G. HUMAN RIGHTS CONVENTIONS; INTER ALIA ENTAILS MUCH
MORE.  MANY OF ICT POLICY REGIMES ARE DEEPLY PROBLEMATIC. WHY NOT SAY
WIPO'S RULES, WHICH ARE FREQUENTLY A PUBLIC INTEREST DISASTER, AND ARE
PERHAPS ABOUT TO GET WORSE WITH THE WEBCASTING TREATY?  WHY NOT THE ITU'S
INTERNATIONAL TELECOM CONVENTION?  EQUALLY THE ITU'S INTERNATIONAL TELECOM
REGULATIONS, WHICH MANY MEMBER STATES WANT TO RENEGOTIATE SOON, INTER ALIA
TO ENCOMPASS THE INTERNET, VOIP, ETC? HOW ABOUT THE CIVIL RIGHTS VIOLATING
COE TREATY?  ONE COULD GO ON. THIS IS A CAN OF WORMS, NO?]

yes - this was my concern re mentiong the cybercrime treaty (and trade
rules for that matter) - but i guess the point here is about ICANN
internationlising and needing to be accountable - i would imagine the HR
caucus would like very much to see something which ensures accountability
to international HR frameworks.

I am going to see rikke now and will ask her about this.. (she hasn't
responded to this thread yet)

karen