[governance] Forum gets big wind in its sails

William Drake wdrake at cpsr.org
Tue Sep 27 07:06:57 EDT 2005

Hi,

Pretty interesting session of SubCom 3 on the Forum.

Only speaker against the forum was Colombia, which sounded more unsure
than opposed.

EU finally put down its marker and supported the forum, using language
that is almost entirely consistent with ours.  Only partial exception was
their statement that there should be a time limit on its mandate, a point
on which we did not try to get agreement.

Other industrialized countries in agreement: Japan, Canada, and previously
Switzerland and Norway.  Only USA has not taken a stand, but I think they
will reluctantly agree in the end and get finicky over the precise
details.

Most interesting was the shift in developing country approaches.

Brazil came out for the forum, stating that this should be separate from
the oversight function, on which it would like to see a new Council. South
Africa, Iran, Saudi Arabia, all agreed.  Some of these previously had said
informally that they don't want a forum, they want one body that does it
all.  This is a change. The question going forward is whether they will
accept the forum when the industrialized countries say nyet to the
Council.  Suspect they will.

Also supporting were Uruguay and Uganda.

Even CCBI is smelling the coffee and getting in the game.  Their first
statement in the morning was to the effect that everything should be
handled through existing bodies, don't need a new and duplicative body,
etc.  Art's statement this time spun it differently: any new body must not
threaten stability; must promote development; must follow on full
stakeholder; should be sensitive to financial and human resources.  Will
look at texts in this light.

Believe this will happen.  We played a role in developing and pushing the
idea and should view these developments accordingly, methinks.

Best,

Bill

William J. Drake  wdrake at ictsd.ch
President, Computer Professionals for
   Social Responsibility www.cpsr.org
Senior Associate, International Centre for Trade
   and Sustainable Development www.ictsd.org
   Geneva, Switzerland
http://mitpress.mit.edu/IRGP-series
http://www.cpsr.org/board/drake
Morality is the best of all devices for leading
mankind by the nose.---Nietzsche