[governance] Chair's paper available

Jacqueline Morris jam at jacquelinemorris.com
Fri Sep 23 09:07:48 EDT 2005

Well, if we want to go with some "semi-agreed text" - the WGIG report
has the following in Para32 (kind of long, but we can include some of
the text?
:
Civil society. The roles and responsibilities of civil society include:
	•	Awareness-raising and capacity-building (knowledge, training,
skills sharing).
	•	Promoting various public interest objectives.
	•	Facilitating network-building.
	•	Mobilizing citizens in democratic processes.
	•	Bringing perspectives of marginalized groups, including, for
example, excluded communities and grass-roots activists.
	•	Engaging in policy processes.
	•	Contributing expertise, skills, experience and knowledge in a range
of ICT policy areas.
	•	Contributing to policy processes and policies that are more
bottom-up, people-centred and inclusive.
	•	Research and development of technologies and standards.
	•	Development and dissemination of best practices.
	•	Helping to ensure that political and market forces are accountable
to the needs of all members of society.
	•	Encouraging social responsibility and good governance practice.
	•	Advocating for the development of social projects and activities
that are critical but may not be "fashionable" or profitable.
	•	Contributing to shaping visions of human-centred information
societies based on human rights, sustainable development, social
justice and empowerment.

Jacqueline Morris
www.carnivalondenet.com
T&T Music and videos online