[governance] Speaking up

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Wed Sep 28 05:18:33 EDT 2005

Vittorio,

I think Avri's statement was good and should be read and tabled if people
think that is appropriate.

I would not add a threat to the written statement. Threatening undermines
goodwill. However it would be worth mentioning to the few countries who
continue to call for ejection of CS members that CS feels uneasy about
co-operating with parties in Internet governance matters who seem determined
to oppose the presence of CS voices.

But I would caution that the game here is Internet governance, not process,
and the more WSIS bogs down in procedural matters (a la day one) the less
likely it is to achieve anything. I'm not sure how you make a strong
statement without causing a procedural debate but if it's possible to do
that it would be better.

Ian Peter