[governance] please read: APC text on Forum function

Laina Raveendran Greene laina at getit.org
Thu Sep 29 09:35:45 EDT 2005

Agreed with you Lee. There is a need to remind people about the openess of
the Internet and the spirit in which it was created and spread around the
world. In our statement, we tried to remind delegates that the Internet was
created by individuals with a high sense of shared responsibility and trust,
and any efforts for IG, whether improving the status quo, creating a forum
and/or new oversight mechanisms, should all be done within these same
spirit.

Currently, as Amb Klarkin pointed out, we are at a unique juncture of public
and private international law coming together. It has happened before from
the 60s to 90s, with the rise of MNCs and international law moving towards
the application of "soft laws" and increase of private international law
applications. Now we have the civil society equation, which is new to some
agencies especially the likes of ITU. It is a very unique juncture of the
creation of a "new form of cooperation" between stakeholders and a new form
of "soft law" (even moving beyond what we have in PIL....a term used in
public international law vis a vis MOUs e.g. lke the one we had on GMPCS on
LEOs etc..).

Laina