[governance] Caucus Position on Oversight?

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Sat Sep 24 18:49:54 EDT 2005

Avri wrote:

>I don't think one has to go as far as giving the GAC a veto.

>I think there are intermediate steps  that could achieve a similar
>effect.  e.g. give the GAC, and some CS oriented ICAN  entity,
>perhaps the ALAC, or something with wider inclusion of users or at
>least domain holders, seat(s) on the board and give the GAC the
>ability to cause a full review of any ccTLD (and perhaps other issues
>related to national policies though this is somewhat more difficult
>to define) decision.

>what I do agree with is the proposition that ICANN could go a long
>way to having a greater degree of multistakeholder control, and that
>this needs to be achieved during the year approaching the end of the
>MOU, when one can only hope that the US will live up to its
>obligation to set the mature and self regulating organization free.

Yep - if that is acceptable to governments it would be a good move. Perhaps
the only way this will happen is if there is a strong push from Prepcom and
a formal approach to ICANN? But your response doesn't address the root zone
authorisation function which can't be ignored - if there are government reps
on ICANN board, MOU finishes, but US retains unilateral control of root zone
authorisation function, I don't think that's a good outcome at all. The
preferred model has to address the latter directly or propose a transition.